European Transport and Mobility Forum

Good practices in rural mobility

best_practices
rural-area
mobility

(Alain L'Hostis) #1

Worth mentioning here a list of good practices of mobility solutions in rural areas in Europe, selected by the ongoing project SMARTA:

https://ruralsharedmobility.eu/good-practices/

What are our views on this cases wearing our “user centric” glasses?

(Erzsebet Foldesi) #2

Hi Alain,
I think the good pratices you shared with us are very interesting. As a first I randomly read the Irish good practice. The summary does not include in detail that how users were were involved in planning of the transport services neither it tells about the accessibility for transport vehicles and service used.
But it underlines that the good coordination of available services open to all users and services exclusively for specific groups gives further travel choice and options to passengers in local communities and can respond to wider range of passengers than separately. And here I would emphasize the bigger choice of travel modes (shared, public transport, door-to-doort, etc.) that contributes to a more user-centric tranport service.

(Rebecca Hueting) #3

Dear all,

I stepped into the SMARTA project’s page and I find thir list of best practices quite amazing:
https://ruralsharedmobility.eu/good-practices/

In particular, I think currently those services tackling inclusion by offering new digital mobility options are those most likely to succeed in terms of user acceptance.

This service in Modena province allowed on-demand journeys and was recently replicated in a new municipality nearby. The concept received funding thanks to EU financing of the RUMOBIL project

SMARTA-GP-Modena.pdf (274.3 KB)

I think its main strength is the effective cooperation between the “on-demand” private service and the public transport operators, which is, in my opinion, a key to success.

(Erzsebet Foldesi) #4

Yes, I agree.The new software provides a web portal for information about the bus service and about the reservations updated in real time. An application for users was also developed to book a trip. But the service can be bookeds by phone call to aid the elderly and/or others with no access to smartphone.
I am optimistic and think that the web portal and the mobile application for the services meet the accessibility requirements for persons with various disabilities. :slight_smile:
With the on demand bus service people in rural area an affordable (more affordable than with private transport) service help to connect the public transport in the big cities.

(Rebecca Hueting) #5

True.

Does a similar service exist in your city or country, as far as you know it?
I’ve recently read this very interesting research from the TRAN Committee and it underlines how in many Europan countries the so-caled rural areas (>50% of population live in very low density areas) public transport is not able to offer a satisfying service to residing population. In terms of inclusiveness such figure is, not surprisingl, even more severe.

IMHO it is more and more clear how in such situations on-demand mobility, customised to the needs of end-users, is among the most viable solutions. As we’ve seen for bike-sharing in cities, I would hope for some “smart” investors to create networks of local transport operators, requiring an optimal service standard and thus fidelise customers. This way, for example, a person with impairments or elderly people can feel safe when they travel far from their towns or even countries since they will be able to use the same platform they are already familiar with.