European Transport and Mobility Forum

Good practices of co-creation of mobility solutions?

best_practices
co-creation

(Alain L'Hostis) #1

We hear a lot about co-creation processes, and the domain of mobility should be a place where it occurs, but I do not know so many examples, good examples of co-creation in this domain. Could you propose good – not to say best – practices of co-creation of mobility solutions?

Modalities, types of co-creation in transport? - wiki
(Rebecca Hueting) #2

Dear Alain, you address a very important matter: co-creation and participatory planning are not very well known and best practices are often under-represented in the web and in the media.
I’ve just attended a webinar given by ShareNorth, presenting Avira project: a shared mobility service for vulnerable users as elders, impaired or just persons in need of a special mobility option. It’s a service run by a group of volunteers who offer themselves as drivers for neighbours. It was initially fostered by the project, developed with a participatory approach and continuously improved by periodical review of ups and downs reported by the final users.

It impressed me positively and I hope to come back with other similar examples.
:nerd_face:

(Imre Keseru) #3

Hello,

We are involved in the LOOPER project (Learning loops in the public realm) where we are developing a co-creation methodology and platform for urban issues, such as mobility, safety, security air pollution.
LOOPER’s methodology addresses the whole co-creation process. Citizens and stakeholders debate on topical issues, then frame the problem and collect data. The LOOPER platform visualizes the data, and enables the co-design of solutions which are evaluated and the best are put into practice and monitored. The platform will be tested in three living labs in Brussels, Verona and Manchester.

There are some Horizon2020 funded projects that also focus on co-creation (although this is probably not an example of practice but research yet):
E.g. http://civitas-sunrise.eu
SUNRISE is the acronym for Sustainable Urban Neighbourhoods Research and Implementation Support in Europe. The SUNRISE mission is to develop, implement, assess and facilitate co-learning about new, collaborative ways to address common urban mobility challenges at the urban district level through “neighbourhood mobility labs” and thus to lay the foundation for a Sustainable Neighbourhood Mobility Planning concept.

http://www.metamorphosis-project.eu/
Metamorphosis is on transforming neighbourhoods with a focus on children.

Imre

(Rebecca Hueting) #4

Hi,

back to my desk I just found a very interesting and unusual participatory approach applied to informal transport in Nairobi. It’s not Europe and maybe some of you already knw about it, I am somewhat impressed.

Here their “Vision”:

> Digital Matatus continues to collect and update data on matatu routes in Nairobi and is beginning projects elsewhere. Our vision is to use technology and local partnerships to make public transit in cities more visible, legible, service oriented, efficient, and open. Our work supports city data collection on transit by developing unique data collection tools and creating a process that involves and engages the transit community in each city. We hope to spread our data collection process to more cities where informal and semi-formal transit is an essential part of the public transit system.

And here a pdf showing the public transport map they derived:

http://www.digitalmatatus.comMatatus-11x17.pdf (2.1 MB)

Would you call it a best practice?

(Christine Zeller) #5

It sounds like a really interesting approach though I have not yet fully got the point of informal and semi-formal transit vs. formal transit in Nairobi and how they collect data e.g. from informal sources. But nevertheless it could be a good approach also for other comparable cities.

(Alain L'Hostis) #6

the initiative is great, even brilliant.
I understand they hire people that will collect data by means of a smartphone app which is then processed into a map
This does not make it, in my view, a co-construction process.
This is interesting from the point of view of articulating informal and formal transport systems, but not from the point of view of public/citizen co-creation.

(Anu Tuominen) #7

Makerspaces in many cities (e.g. Paris, Barcelona, Portland) are examples of real co-creation initiatives, but I’m not sure how well transport related innovations have been covered in their activities…?

(Claire Tollis) #8

Thank you Alain for such a great topic of discussion !

I’m aware of a few dynamics in France.
The CISMOP project we developped in Loos-en-Gohelle.
Marie Huyghe is also developping interesting projects in Tours and beyond.
Antonin Margier developped an exciting project in Anor.
Also, there are many examples of inspiring participatory research projects led by the 6T consulting team

Looking forward to knowing more on the subject !
Claire

(Rebecca Hueting) #9

Would be very interesting to find out wether there are initiatives specifically focused on mobility issues out there and see how they make it.
Aren’t “Living Labs” such a thing, in a way?

(Imre Keseru) #10

The latest issue of the EPOMM Newsletter was about living labs in mobility. It’s an interesting read:
http://www.epomm.eu/index.php?id=2618

(Xavier Sanyer) #13

Hello!

From ATM we are working to implement actions where the data is collected by the citizens. In this sense, some municipalities of the Barcelona’s region are already implementing strategies that use the mobile technology through apps that collect real time data about mobility, traffic and other data that can be used to analyze the different characteristics of the mobility patterns as much as the possible reasons for congestion points or accidents concentrations. However, in terms of co-creation, som strategies are being developed in some municipalities like the MUV project, focused on a competition in which participants receive incentives for their progress in the modal shift towards sustainable modes of travel. New solutions, the characteristics of the app and proposals are created collectively in workshops and open seminars. The results of the workshops and the collected mobility data will be used to inspire new mobility policies based on the mobility of citizens.
https://barcelona.muv2020.eu/es/ 1

Do you think they can be powerful initiatives to encourage participation and co-creation?

(Alain L'Hostis) #14

MUV 2020, based on your description, uses several forms of participation: nudges concerning incentives, but the true co-creation occurs in what is “created collectively in workshops and open seminars”.
Thanks Xavier, this is interesting!

(Teresa de la Cruz) #15

Dear Alain

I would like to share with you the work we are carrying out in SUNRISE (Sustainable Urban Neighbourhoods Research and Implementation in Europe-H2020) project.

SUNRISE examines mobility problems and solutions at the neighbourhood level (six neighbourhoods in in six cities – Bremen, Budapest, Jerusalem, Malmo, Southend-on-Sea and Thessaloniki).

Initially the project involved the stakeholders in each neighbourhood and from all levels of society in identifying the mobility problems they face (local authorities and businesses, NGOs and academics with local citizens who can convey the concerns of, for example, schools and pupils, the elderly and infirm, the disadvantaged or unemployed, recent migrants, women. …)

In parallel, we are fostering and collecting evidence of innovative practices and initiatives across the cities with the aim of creating a matrix of ‘best practices’, which we can share and discuss with all the stakeholders.

The emphasis throughout is on collaborative processes generated, implemented and ‘owned’ by the neighbourhood itself.

I hope you find this info interesting!

(Alain L'Hostis) #16

Dear @Teresa, I do find it interesting! I understand only problem enunciating has been co-created in the SUNRISE project? I have updated a synthesis post about the modalities of the co-creation. You may modify it if you wish.

(Imre Keseru) #17

Co-creation is also useful in promoting open science in general
The ORION project has developed a menu of co-creation tools that can be used for research. Many of the methods are useful for transport planning as well as research.

The menu contains 31 methods sorted according to the level of participation of the different interest groups: Deliberative, participative, conferences or forums, surveys or challenges. For each method, there are nine columns:

1. Name: Popular name of the method, sometimes an alternative name is also indicated.
  2. Objective: Outlines the main goal of that method.
  3. Audience Type: Not all methods are suitable for all audiences. This column specifies which group(s) the method is most suitable for.
  4. Audience Size: Knowing how many people can be involved when using a particular method is relevant for allocating resources.
  5. Event Time: Time requirements for running an event when a specific method will be used.
  6. Total Time: Time requirements for planning, coordinating and managing resources to implement a method.
  7. Budget: Method expenses indicated in a scale from low (€) to high (€€€€).
  8. Case Study: Link to an example where the method has been previously used.

(Rebecca Hueting) #18

Dear Alain,

I just fell into this paper which I suggest to add in our list of Co-Creation examples, in the last row the table “Citizens in focus groups for the design of solutions”, in our related WIKI post:

The project CIPTEC covered co-creation for transport, using participatory techniques (e.g. Multi-Criteria analysis), similarly as we did in Mobility4EU project:

Here an excerpt about Co-Creation with a lot of interesting references:

Co-creation may “refer to any act of collective creativity, i.e. creativity that is shared by two or more people” [4]. More specifically, co-creation is a revolutionary user-centered, collaborative approach, where a multitude of stakeholders (e.g. users, professionals, firms, etc.) are involved in the process of designing a product or service aiming to jointly create value [5]. Co-creation is an active, continually changing process, as it involves interactions between the relevant stakeholders [6]. The most important aspect of co-creation methods is the fact that they are user-centered. When the users are involved in the design of a product or service, the end value is usually increased due to the adaptation of the product/service to the users’ needs. Moreover, among the most important benefits of the application of co-creation methods are the following: better and more effective decision making, reduced costs by being in line with the users’ requirements, increased product quality, competitive advantage, customized products/services, and better customer needs satisfaction [7]. Considering the fact that the most users of Public Transport are loyal and captive, the inclusion of non-users in the co-creation process is desired, whenever insights on how they would shift to Public Transport are required. Despite the fact that co-creation processes were implemented in the field of urban planning during the past decades, their expansion in the Public Transport sector was not as widespread as it could be. Actually, it seems that the most cited relevant paper is not even about urban Public Transport but about the Swiss Federal Railway [8]. However, although PTOs have been using the traditional marketing approaches since years ago, new user-centered approaches should be investigated. As a consequence, new marketing approaches, like co-creation workshops can contribute to the increase of Public Transport attractiveness enabling the identification of innovative concepts/ideas that could be further developed by the experts [9]. Perhaps the best way to apply co-creation methods are co-creation workshops in which users, and sometimes non-users like in the case of Public Transport, participate.