What does it take to develop a or transition towards a sustainable business model?
Riberio de Souza et al. (2019) (https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/11/6/1761) have examined the term “sustainable business model” in the context of urban mobility solutions by conducting a systematic review and analysis of the existing literature. They identify eight categories by which a sustainable business model can be developed:
- maximise energy and material efficiency
- create value from “waste”
- use renewable resources
- deliver functionality and services rather than ownership
- adopt a management and leadership role along with stakeholders
- encourage sufficiency in consumption and production relations
- re-purpose the business for society and the environment
- develop scale-up solutions
These aspects form a feasible framework for the development and innovation of business models for mobility solutions.
Do you agree? Or do you think there are additional aspects which need to be added to this list?
Would you consider, for example, the introduction of the e-scooters into the urban transport portfolio as a sustainable business model? Which aspects does business model address, which aspects might not be covered?