Urban Air Mobility (UAM) as a novel technology and potential transport solution within and between urban areas currently is a frequently discussed topic. Besides the development of the technology, potential future passengers’ perception of the solution as well as viable business approaches are crucial for a successful implementation of UAM solutions in the existing transport system.
UAM promises faster transport, flexible and individual mobility, increased security, and improved sustainability and eco-friendliness. Several studies expect UAM to become a complementary solution to existing transport services. Most important factors for users comprise safety, noise, inequity, visual pollution, and privacy. Furthermore, certification and a required legal framework need to be in place.
Questions about a feasible and viable business model for the implementation of UAM remain:
- Who will be the service provider and operator of such a service?
- What are the major value propositions from such a service?
- Which investments in infrastructure are required to operate UAM?
- Who will be the customers of such a service and according markets?
- Which price for the service is expected or required, in comparison with PT, private car, and shared urban transport services?
- What are opportunities for users, cities or regions, manufacturers, operators, and investors?
- What are potential freight transport applications? (freight drone services)
I kindly invite you to discuss with us, which elements are required for a viable business model for UAM services. Feel free to agree or disagree, comment, and share your thoughts on this topic!